Friday 1 July 2011

Underneath the Ash Tree



This painting is in my current exhibition, and is the 4th in my Land series. These are the ones that start with going outdoors & drawing straight onto the canvas the shapes that I observe in a particular place here, where I live. This was, as the title says, under an Ash tree. The wind was blowing a bit, so everything was dancing about, particularly the ends of the branches which hung down over my head. There were reflections in the water close by , & all sorts of things were burgeoning on the ground - ferns, mushrooms, different leaves - and then there were other shapes above, like ivy fruit.. it was really fun to look & draw.

Afterwards the painting grew slowly indoors, in stages, as I mixed different colours to find the ones that make each other sing. This was always a happy painting.

As I look at it now, it really brings back that place to me, and the light atmosphere of that windy place, so I hope that the painting may be a blessing, from the place to you.

1 comment:

  1. Blessing received. Thank you. I love this - the colours and the forms. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete